Most Popular

Logo

Add Discover to your home screen

For the latest insights from Global business

Add now
No thanks
This week's top 5 cultural insights and e-commerce trends: 31 May 2019

Business · 4 min read

AOB: 31 May 2019

Get clued up on the EU's new e-commerce payment rules, find out why mobile should be your default, take a quick look at the international shopping scene, and find out how you could be on the end of some serious funding – all in this week's AOB.

Secure knowledge

From 14 September, every EU company will have to comply with the new Payments Services Directive, with the aim of making online transactions more secure. Passed in November 2015, the regulations will require all online sales to be subject to two-factor authentication, with companies that refuse to comply having all payment declined until they do.

Studies have shown that only 25% of online merchants are currently aware of Strong Customer Authentication (SCA), and the requirements surrounding it, which could make the next few months tricky as the other 75% aim to catch up. Thankfully, Ecommerce Europe have this week released a document outlining what merchants need to do to adapt in time – if you're an e-commerce trader in Europe, you need to get your ducks in a row. If you're already up to speed on SCA, you're one step ahead of most of the competition. For more ways to stay ahead, see our guide to increasing revenue on your retail site.

Index at your fingertips

With more and more people starting their Google searches on their mobile devices, the company have announced that as of 1 July, mobile-first indexing will be the default for all new web domains.

It means that mobile-friendly content will be rewarded, so getting your desktop and mobile sites aligned – if you haven't done so already – will make things a lot smoother in the long run. They've also released a guide on how to prepare your site for the changes, which can be found here (should you require it). With mobile taking over as the top way to search, it's never been more important to get your hand-held house in order. Our in-depth article will take you through the key steps to mobile success.

Suits you, ma'am

With a gender equality movement sweeping the country, and a one-child policy that's boosted educational opportunities for girls, Chinese women are snapping up suits like never before. Long synonymous with the male office worker, the traditional two-piece is now being used as a badge of resistance, and retailers are cashing in.

With 'suits' being the most searched for item on China's Taobao platform in 2018, this year has seen women's versions outselling men's for the first time ever – and in the country with the highest number of self-made female billionaires, it's showing no signs of stopping. Fashion moves quickly, so it's important to stay on top of the latest trends. For more information on fast fashion, and how to do it properly, read our guide here.

Vive la France

new study has revealed that when it comes to FMCG e-commerce, France is flying the tricolore for Europe. With just over 7% of the country's FMCG products being sold online, they've outdone the UK (6.3%) and Germany (1.4%) to take the honor – and are even outpacing the USA (5.6%).

While there's still no competition with the likes of South Korea and China – at 20% and 18% respectively – it's a sign that attitudes are beginning to change. With the rise attributed to the popularity of click and collect, it's high time retailers sat up and took notice. If you're looking to grow into the Gallic region, you'll find all you need to know in our insiders' guide to the country.

And finally...

In an effort to tackle the world's 'most pressing problems' a new venture capitalist firm has launched with the aim of moving away from the traditional investment markets. Future Positive Capital have already invested in molecular meat specialists Meatable, and BioBeats – a mental well-being course and app. If you've got an idea that you think could change the world, they're all ears – but you need to be serious about it. In their own words:

"We invest in companies that use AI, robotics, synthetic biology, genetic engineering, and other deep technologies to build highly profitable businesses that solve the world’s most pressing problems. These are businesses that are already ‘live’, have identified a market, built a core & world-class team and developed a groundbreaking product or service based on defensible technology or science. While we focus on European based companies, we expect them to have a global mindset to seize opportunity wherever they find it."

If you're not ready yet – but think you could be onto something – find out the secrets of spare time startups, and how to make a success of it, here.


Serious about taking your brand global?

Reach 220 territories across the world

  • Easy Shipping
  • Preferential Business Rates
  • Exclusive Tools
  • Trusted Network
Speak to a Specialist Today